03
08. Free Day!
For our free day Alexa, Ai, Hanin, and I had big plans to go
to a cat café at 11:30. Big plot twist, the place hit up my line three times because
they had a private event most of the day and moved our reservation to 3:30, so
now we had some time in the morning to shop around the Taipei 101 area. First
stop was their food court because we all wanted different types of food and I
got a delicious mixed salad bar situation. I really liked that there was
standing tables too because it would’ve been impossible to find anywhere to sit
with how bust that mall was. Other busy spaces in Seattle should try out a system
like that too, I think it would work really well. After shopping around, we
finally got to the cat café which was adorable for about 20 minutes until my
allergies kicked in. Elden came and met up with us to go to Onitsuka Tiger
where he got some fire red kicks (rip daily tabis). After the others went off to
dinner Alexa and I ended the evening at the Gongguan night market where we got food
from the sweetest old lady.
09. To Taichung, Chen’s Wood, Home Work Sustainable Studio
Our first stop in Taichung was Chen’s Wood, a small woodcarving
shop. Their introduction to the history of the shop and the tools they set out
was very interesting, I especially enjoyed hearing about the different generations
that had worked in and run the shop. The wood smell was so good, I’m glad that we
got to take the little bags home with us. It was even more special because we
got to carve the pieces off ourselves. While our group was outside, I was looking
in the window at the guy’s piece he was carving in the corner. He was so precise
with every cut, I could tell how many years of practice went into his craft.
| Peek through the window |
The Home Work Sustainable Studio was such a beautiful place.
His presentation about their zero-waste mission was fascinating; the building flip
progress pictures were my personal favorite part. When he said that he was part
of the team that designed our hotel I knew that we were going to be in for a
treat later.
During both of those activities I felt like I really got the
chase to bond with the NCKU students. After we got back a whole group of us
went out for dinner and ice-cream together, and it was the perfect way to end the
day.
| Yay new friends! |
10. National Taiwan Craft Research Institute, Bamboo Weaving
For our full day in Taichung we started by busing to the
National Taiwan Craft Research Institute. I liked almost everything that I saw,
but my favorite piece was the big blue dyed tapestries hanging in the bottom floor
of the water exhibit building. I liked how big they were and how you could walk
in between the layers because there were so many different perspectives to view
them from.
| My favorite piece |
After a delicious lunch we headed to the bamboo weaving
workshop. All their prepared bamboo was so beautiful, it almost looked fake. And
the mugs and items made from bamboo were so unique too. The bamboo weaving was
so fun, I really enjoyed it. It was hard to get the hang of, but once I did I
was so locked in, the time started going by really fast. I totally thought after
the green layer we were done, but I loved the extra challenge with the brown
pieces, and I am very happy with how mine turned out.
| Bamboo before being cut |
I really loved Taichung, I wish we had a little bit longer
to explore here. I have many places I want to see on my list, so I guess I will
just have to come back another time!
the way you tell this is so immersive
ReplyDeletewe're lowkey always saying the same stuff
ReplyDeletewatch out we might end up wearing the same thing one day
Deleteomg mentioned! also love your bamboo weaving :)
ReplyDeleteYour bamboo weaving is so pretty!
ReplyDelete