04
11. To Tainan, NCKU Intro, NCKU Tour
First thing in the morning we hopped on the bus to our final
destination, Tainan! I was really excited because Celine, Alisa, Tracy, Lexi,
and many of the others had been talking about places they wanted to take us over
the next week and half. I wanted to sleep on the bus but unfortunately it was
September 1st in Seattle, and my roommates were all moving into our
new place. The whole ride was a big scramble to remotely pick rooms and arrange
stuff being moved in.
Right after dropping off our bags at the hotel, we headed on
to campus to do our intros. I enjoyed seeing the UW slides again because now I
know everyone a lot better, and the NCKU students were so helpful with all
their recommendations on where to go and what to do.
We had seen a little bit of the campus while walking over to
the classroom, but the NCKU students tour was really fun because we got to hear
all about what each space was used for. I love their design buildings and
studio spaces, and it was cool to see that each grade gets a classroom area
with their own desks. I wish we had the space in the art building because
having a place to work like that would be awesome. There were a lot of parallels
between their campus and UW’s; this is definitely a school I would want to go
to.
| Celine showing me around campus |
Tracy, Celine, and Alisa took us to a delicious noodle place
for dinner, I am so thankful to have made friends so early on who are willing
to show us all the best spots of Tainan. We also talked earlier in the day
about forming a team, so we were all getting excited to start our project.
12. Circular Economy Workshop, Lecture, Project Kickoff
Day two in Tainan we spent a lot of time in the classroom
learning about circular economy and design. I liked the way that the workshop
was set up to be immersive with many worksheets and activities that got us
thinking. The end activity of Craig’s workshop where we picked something that
was happening in the image and came up with a service that could help stimulate
a circular economy was my personal favorite. I think the idea that he was
getting at was something that I know and use in my everyday life, I just didn’t
have a word for it before. I’ve always been a fan of being thrifty and turning
old things into new ones I like more, so I enjoyed getting to learn about the bigger
impact.
After lunch Meichun gave a lecture about the design progress,
followed by Wynnie talking about circular design. We did an ideation activity
with sustainability cards that got us thinking about different ways to
incorporate circular design in our project that turned out to be very
difficult. I had gotten used to ideating in a different way, but I did enjoy
switching it up despite the challenge. Our group hadn’t come up with any
perfect ideas yet, but we talked about many things that could potentially
connect Taiwanese culture with the US market.
We ended the day with group hotpot and bowling! Our spirits
high for the coming days.
| Alexa and I bowling hard |
13. Free Day!
After getting some extra sleep, Ai, Alexa, and I headed to a nearby café for lunch. Alisa had suggested we got to Shennong street afterwards and met us there to walk around for the afternoon. Coincidentally, another one of our friends from our VCD cohort was also in the area with his family so he met up with us too, not even knowing he walked in the door right in front of Alisa. I loved how colorful the lanterns on the street were, it gave the area such a welcoming atmosphere, aided by the many toy stores that lined the street. Alisa took us to a dessert stand where we got mango and red bean shaved ice that was the perfect thing to cool us down for the rest of our time walking around.
After saying goodbye to the two of them we walked to a beef
noodle spot Tracy wanted to take us to where we met up with the rest of our
group as well as Elden, Helen, Kristin, and Erin. We all agreed it was some of
the best food we had tasted yet on our trip.
The seven of us walked back to the hotel, enjoying the
temperature at night and talking about the many things we had each seen and
done over the past many days. So far I have loved everything that our NCKU
friends have shown us, and I’m so pumped for our final week here in Taiwan.
bowling hard
ReplyDeletei am a photographer and i took most of these photos, thank you :) (love the post!)
ReplyDeleteI also like how Craig introduced the concept of circular design in such an immersive way, breaking down the concepts through a variety of worksheets and activities that got us thinking and made everything easier to digest.
ReplyDeletethis is just such a lovely post. i miss you lots but am so glad you're having such a good time and learning such cool things :')
ReplyDelete