06

18. Circular Design Lecture, Tainan Old City Tour

Today really was starting to feel like the final stretch as we did our last circular design lecture and another critique. Our design was really coming together as it grew and evolved, and we were getting excited about what we had made to show everyone on Friday.

In the afternoon we did another walking tour, this time around Tainan Old City. My favorite part of the tour was the very beginning when we had to squeeze through the space between two buildings to get to our next location. If I had passed that alleyway on my own, I definitely wouldn’t have thought that it led to somewhere, and I really enjoyed that secretive aspect of it. The tree with all of the tags hanging off of it after we popped out the other side was so beautiful; I spotted notes from all over the world!

Up close of the tags


From the day we did our introduction presentations I knew that my one requirement before leaving Tainan was to go to the beach. Our project group had offered to drive us on their scooters to see the sunset as well, making me even more excited to go. After the tour I hopped on the back of Celine’s scooter, secured with a cute Snoopy helmet. The whole ride I had the biggest smile on my face; I didn’t know that riding a scooter was a dream of mine until I did it. Our project group met up at the beach along with Elden and Annie and we got to watch the sunset with our toes in the surprisingly warm water. It was truly a night to remember and I think I might need a scooter of my own now.

All my favs at the beach!
19. Tea Ritual, Project Work

For our final activity of the program we got to do a traditional Taiwanese tea ritual. Learning about the ritual was so interesting, and I really enjoyed all the songs that our guide sang. The tea itself was so delicious, I loved that we got to seal some to have at a later date. I did set mine to open it in 500 years, but unfortunately I don’t think I’m going to be able to wait that long because I really want to drink it and read my note before I die.

Our last big work session was really making me feel like I was back at UW last minute crunching for a project deadline. Luckily for us, we had set ourselves up for not too late of a night, but it always takes longer than I expect.

20. Presentation Day, Farewell Tea

After a few last-minute touches on our slides and attaching our prototype to Tracy’s handmade chair, we were ready for our presentation! We were all so happy with what we had created, and simultaneously both happy to be nearly done and sad to leave our friends.

Attaching the prototype

There is so much talent in this program, every single project blew my mind and I’m really going to miss the supportive atmosphere that we had over the last few weeks. I think every single person in the program has taught me one thing or another, and that is something I really appreciate.

Our farewell tea included another beautiful spread of foods. Eating with my team made me feel very nostalgic, even if I knew I would be seeing them again later in the night.

After packing a group of us got dinner and met up with others at a bar, a perfect way to end our stay in Tainan. We were all reminiscing on our projects and the paces we had gone, and it was making me wish we had more time to just hang out and chat! We also celebrate Alisa’s 21st birthday a couple days early; when we brought out the cake for her she was so surprised and it was truly a special moment.

21. Farewell Breakfast

Our final reflection discussion was really making me think about all we had accomplished over the last three weeks. When I think back to arriving in Taipei, it feels both like it was yesterday and many months ago. We have seen so many beautiful things, met so many wonderful people, and learned so much about design. I am going to value my time here in Taiwan forever and take it with me into my design practices for the rest of my life. I don’t think this will be my last time here, I will definitely be finding my way back eventually.

Goodbye Taiwan!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts